Othello Study Guide Essay
1. What was Iago's complaint in Scene I?
2. Who was Brabantio, and why did Iago and Roderigo awaken him in the middle of the night?
3. Why did Iago leave Roderigo at Brabantio's house?
4. What was Brabantio's reaction to Othello's marriage to Desdemona?
5. Why did the Duke send for Othello?
6. Brabantio complains to the Duke about Othello's marriage to Desdemona.
After listening to both sides of the story, what was the Duke's reply?
7. What was Roderigo's complaint, and what was Iago's reply to it?
MULTIPLE CHOICE QUIZ QUESTIONS
Write your answers out in paragraph form with evidence from the text
1. What was Iago's complaint in Scene 1?
A. Another officer of the same rank was receiving …show more content…
3. Let us be conjunctive in our revenge against him. (Iiii374)
1. What did Iago do to Othello? Why?
a. Iago made Othello believe Desdemona was having an affair with Cassio.
b. Iago had an affair with Desdemona to make Othello jealous.
c. Iago made Cassio have an affair with Desdemona to make Othello jealous.
d. Iago helped Roderigo start an affair with Desdemona because Roderigo loved her and
Iago wanted revenge.
2. Why did Roderigo join Iago?
a. Iago threatened to kill him if he didn't cooperate.
b. Roderigo was in love with Desdemona; he wanted her for himself.
c. Iago was Roderigo's superior; he had to do what he was ordered to do.
d. Othello had treated Roderigo unfairly, too, and Roderigo wanted revenge.
3. What was Cassio's role in Iago's plan?
a. Cassio was an unsuspecting victim; he was a bit lecherous, saw the opportunity to have an affair with a beautiful woman, and went along with Iago's plan for his own gratification. b. Cassio, like Roderigo, was under Iago's command. Even though he didn't want to go against Othello, he had to follow Iago's orders.
c. Cassio didn't like Othello, either, and was happy to join in the scheme for revenge.
d. Cassio was an unsuspecting victim. He didn't have an affair with Desdemona; Othello just thought he did.
VOCABULARY - Othello : Act I
Part I: Using Prior Knowledge and Contextual Clues
Below are the sentences in which the vocabulary words